View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

So how does any of this answer my question as to the genesis of my aluminum hood scoop?

Well, after looking at hundreds of pictures and not seeing anything like the aluminum scoop I have, I stumbled upon a picture of Ken Miles’ Flip Top/TheTurd Cobra. I had always seen, or rather focused, on pictures of The Turd racing at Nassau, in its as raced configuration, which had a hood scoop similar to those on other racing Cobras of the time.

But then I saw it. A couple of pictures of The Turd prototype, just after built and being readied for testing at Riverside in Sept ’64.

A special alloy block 390 with Webers had been fitted into the 289 chassis with the famous Flip- Top light gauge body. But the engine was a leeetle too big. So a large bubble/hump was added to the hood to accommodate the higher profile 390. It was not a scoop, just a big hump.
But, by the time The Turd raced at Nassau three months later , the hump had disappeared and was replaced with a hood scoop similar to those on other racing Cobras.
So why was the original hump so big when a “standard” Cobra scoop was eventually fitted and cleared the top of the Webers just fine?
Don’t know.
But, THAT SHAPE!
It closely resembles the shape of the aluminum hood scoop I have. It’s as if someone took that prototype hood bubble/hump, cut it back about 6 inches at the front, and created an air inlet.

Resulting in a wide, curved hood scoop. (Please excuse my amateurish photo-shop)

Looking a lot like the one I have:

Now I’m not saying I have the bubble/hump/hood scoop from The Turd.
I highly doubt it is even related.
But the aluminum hood scoop I have is very similar in shape and size and I have not seen anything else like it after looking at hundreds of period photos.
So what do I have?
Your guess is as good as mine.
But I like it!
I am now contemplating taking a splash off the scoop and making a couple of fiberglass reproductions. I may even mount one on my car.
Stay tuned. And then the “tuft test”.
Cheers
Greg