Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2019 (sold) - First Factory Dragonsnake, Ford GT
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
Nobody has brought up the fact that maybe the Cobra was delivered as a "Dragon Snake" and the new dealership owner decided that they didn't want anything to do with drag racing so they sent the car to have some of the modifications reversed, new rear fenders, new differential, sway bars, wheels and tires, etc. Maybe they did this to keep a Ford dealership owner happy so they would continue to order and sell Cobras?
Sorry, CompClassics. I've read your quote over and over and still can't make sense of it! But let's say "what if?" There is still the point I made earlier in this thread about the scattershield. Only a certified moron would remove a costly but effective safety item like a scattershield from a high performance engine and replace it with an inferior and potentially harmful street part.

Has anyone ever seen the damage an exploding flywheel can do when the fragments come flying through the firewall? I have. Back in the sixties I was working as a tank mechanic at Fort Hood, home of the first and second armored divisions. One of the M26 Dragonwagons came in for repair because the driver happened to be in the wrong gear going down a steep incline. He lost a foot in the incident, and his blood was still on the floorboard. Not one of my happier days in the U.S. Army.

Getting back to CSX2416, in the Mecum video for the forthcoming auction, Ned Scudder and Colin Comer, both recognized authorities on Shelby Cobras, clearly describe the car as "the most optioned STREET Cobra ever built." I couldn't agree more and hope this will be the last newly discovered Dragonsnake to slither out of the woodwork as yet another barn find.

FYI, the auction brochure for both the red and the yellow Cobra contains the most factual descriptions I've read about these two cars. I suspect Ned and Colin both had a hand in the write ups, and it shows. As auction literature goes, this brochure has established a new level. Kudos (and thanks) to Dana, Ned, and Colin for that.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-37...obra-roadster/
Attached Images

Last edited by Hal Heindel; 05-07-2019 at 06:05 AM..