View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

[quote=Blas;1461596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
OK, here is a reply from William Edgar the son of John Edgar in the photo. Don't think he is a member here so if you can tell me where the photo came from or send me a Hi res copy, I will relay it to him.

Hello again, Blas,
Good photograph. Thanks. I have never seen this one before, and I would like to have a hi-resolution copy for my files.
People, left to right: Unknown man w/cigarette, John Edgar (age 55), Ruth Levy with cigarette, Shelby's business associate Lew Spencer (?), Edgar/Shelby racing mechanic and transporter driver Joe Landaker, and Carroll Shelby. I'd say the location is Dallas, Texas, at the time Ruth drove an Edgar-entry Porsche 550 at the nearby Eagle Mountain races during a rainy spell in early June 1957. Rain on the pavement here. The white Cadillac is not an Edgar car, but the black-on-white license place is specifically what Texas plates were in color scheme for year 1957. I can't tell what the low white car, mostly likely a race car, really is. The red race car is almost definitely the John Edgar's Ferrari 410 Sport s/n 0598 CM (racing number 98) from what is visible of its partial racing number 8 and characteristic 410 Sport's large hood scoop. Finally, Shelby is un-characteristically wearing a dress shirt and tie, making me believe he has to be close to his Carroll Shelby Sports Cars business office there in Dallas. Do you know the name of the photographer? Get back to me with your thoughts.
Best regards,
William Edgar
Hi Blas,
Great information there from William Edgar. Just shows how much is out there for the asking.
It was Greg (my427cobra) who posted the picture originally (post #117); I've got a copy that's a little larger, but still not hi-res. PM me with your email address if you'd like me to send it to you.

Cheers,
Glen