View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Gas Smell

Dear eedeutsch,

Funny thing you should say the carb needed rebuilding as the Holley Advanger is off the car and being rebuilt by DaVanci Performance Carb here in Houston. Did not pull it off because of the smell but developed serious hesitation and flutter when giving gas from a roll or shifting gears. Checked many things out like accelerator pump, squirters in carb, plugs, MSD ignition, and fuel filter. All appeared fined. Figured that the ethanol in gas must have gotten to the carb and internal gaskets.

Carb has been off the car for a week now and garage does not have the heavy smell of gasoline now. When I did pull the carb off, did not actuate the accelerator pump or throttle plates and noted the intake runner planes were wet and the car was not started in over a week. Appears that there must have been an internal leak of fuel that could not be seen and other problems on this ten year old Holley.

Should have carb back on in a few days and if it ever quits raining, looking forward to some Cobra miles before too hot here in Texas to be driving.

Still an interesting comment as I have never heard that a heavy gasoline smell in a garage could be a faulty carb. But I bet you are correct. Will let you know.

Thanks,
Nathan