View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

Bob Putnam has been helping me troubleshoot this problem. I think we are both struggling to figure out what is wrong. I thought I would run this by the ERA community on Club Cobra for ideas.
I have made the following checks –
1. Jumped 12v to each parking/signal/brake light element to verify operation – all okay.
2. Verified that each light was grounded properly at all four corners of the car.
3. Verified that all the fuses are good.
4. Verified that with the parking lights on the left and right side were equal brightness side to side.
5. Swapped the B/W and B/G wires at the ERA steering column turn signal switch, the lighting problem did not change sides.
6. Using a test light with a pointed probe I penetrated the wire insulation on the 3-to-2 wire relay to check for voltage on the wires –
a. Brake on
i. trailer side yellow – 12vdc
ii. trailer side green – 0vdc
iii. car side red – 12vdc
iv. car side green – 0vdc
v. car side yellow – 0vdc
b. Right turn selected
i. trailer side yellow – 0vdc
iii. car side red – 0vdc
c. Left turn selected
iii. car side red – 0vdc
v. car side yellow – 12vdc
Based on the checks above we decided that the trailer relay may be bad. I received the trailer relay assembly from ERA yesterday and tried it today. I still have problems. The left brake light works, the right brake light doesn’t work. The right rear turn signal light works, the right front signal doesn’t work. The left rear signal light doesn’t work and the left front signal light does work. I made the above voltage checks at the new 3-to-2 wire relay with these results –
a. Brake on
i. trailer side yellow – 12vdc
iii. car side red – 12vdc
b. Right turn selected
ii. trailer side green – 12vdc
iii. car side red – 0vdc
iv. car side green – 12vdc
c. Left turn selected
iii. car side red – 0vdc
v. car side yellow – 12vdc
This seems to indicate to me anyway that this new trailer relay isn’t working either. It is hard for me to believe that two relays in a row are bad.
Does anybody have any other ideas or suggestions?
BD