View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, fuse out, run a 12v+ line to the pin on the light that originally had the two green wires that you removed, and the G/R wire is now attached back to its pin. When you do that does the light illuminate? If not, and you're absolutely 100% positive that the light works and that you are giving it 12v+ on one side, then that means it is not getting a return path on the other side through the VR. Double check this test as it is important.
+12V to the two green wire pin with the G/R connected--bulb lights up. Makes sense given that the bulb lit up when I cranked in the previous test. Not sure why the bulb isn't lit when key is in the "ON" position?

I'm back to suspecting the voltage regulator, although maybe I should disconnect the fan and wipers to eliminate them as the source of the short (assuming I can get to the connections)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
When behaving normally that G/R wire will provide a path to ground until the car begins charging, and then the path is gone. That's what makes the ignition light come on and off.
The fact that the bulb is not lit when the key is "ON" suggests that when the key is in the "ON" position, there is no power to the ignition light. Could I have a short in the ignition switch? Seems unlikely when the car starts and runs ok?

Last edited by ACHiPo; 05-16-2019 at 07:35 PM..