Thread: Aviation Gas
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I never ran aviation fuel. Seems I heard someone warn against it once, but cannot remember why. I honestly cannot think of a reason why it would be unsafe to run in an automotive engine.

A friend has an airplane. On it's last rebuild the mechanic talked him into a higher compression ratio piston. There are two versions of his engine sold from the factory with the two different compression ratios. Seems like his was 11:1 or 12:1 and the pistons they put in were 13:1 or 14:1. The fuel could handle that much compression. Gave him more Hp, but it also uses quite a bit less fuel. He is very happy he did it. The only point to the story is just how much compression this type of fuel can handle. More Octane than your engine needs.

You can also buy race fuel that has no ethanol.

The biggest issue with ethanol corroding your carb, is when the car sets over the winter for months. It sucks water out of the air until there is enough to separate. If you ran a couple of tanks of ethanol free gasoline before storing for winter and added a good stabilizer (I like seafoam), I think you wouldn't have near the problems, if at all.