Thread: Gasoline Smell
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Gas Smell

I have kept a carbureted car in garage for over 20 years and yes there will be a smell. Replaced the '69 Corvette that was flooded from Hurricane Harvey with a Backdraft that has a Holley 750 Avenger four barrel.

It really stunk up the garage. People told me it was the stainless fuel lines because of gasoline permeation. Others told me it was because of the side exhaust being short and smell coming out of them.

Sure that did contribute but what I discovered when pulling the carb off for a rebuild that intake runners were wet and I did not move the throttle plate nor did accelerator pump move during the removal. Prior to the removal, did check the squirters in the primaries for leakage after shut down and there was done.

Noted a response in the Backdraft sector of this forum where someone said that their smell was from a bad carb that needed rebuilding.

Well, did have mind done by Davanci Carbs in Houston and guess what- the strong smell of raw gas is now gone in garage. It was the carb. The garage does have an old car smell but nothing like it was. Dual quad set-up? Expensive rebuilds but that was my problem.