View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacobb View Post
The bummer is I have to get the exhaust from ERA, take it to a local exhaust shop to weld the brackets and fit the exhaust to the car, then take it all off and ship it to Jet-Hot. Then reinstall.
I'm in the midst of this process with 3014. I fitted the primary pipes and collector-to-muffler pipes on the car, trimming as needed and marking the alignment of the header tabs. Then had the tabs tacked on at a welding shop, then back on the car to be sure they were in the right spot, then back to the shop for finish welding, and then out for ceramic coating. Now they're back and everything up to and including the mufflers is coated and ready for installation.

For the rest of the system, I really need to get the car to an exhaust shop. Dan at ERA advised that trying to Sharpie the hanger locations on the pipes and having them shop welded without reference to the car is a Bad Idea.

So I need to get the car driveable (or tow it) for the exhaust shop visit. This would also be first firing for a motor I built, so it's a pretty major moment. My plan is to wire up the muffler outlet, rear wheel arch, and tailpipe locations to drive it to a shop for final fitting/welding, then take it all off again for coating as you described.

Has anyone come up with a better way to do this? If I had it to do over again, I'd have spent some of the wait time for kit fabrication teaching myself to weld...

B