View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
For some reason, the speedometer driving gear on the tail shaft of my T5Z broke this weekend. So, I don't know how fast I'm going or how far I've gone. I guess my choices now are to remove the transmission, disassemble it and replace the gear or simply to go with a GPS speedometer.

Feel free to pass along your experiences relative to the GPS speedometers. Are they a good thing or a pain to deal with?
If I was facing the same decision I'd go with GPS. I'm currently running VDO Series 1 gauges, so would use the VDO GPS sender. Easy decision.

IMO the only downside to a GPS speedometer is the short delay of a few seconds after starting up before it starts to read. I'm running a carburetor, with an electric choke, so by the time the engine runs a few seconds while I buckle up, plus the time it takes to back out of my garage and driveway I fully expect the speedometer to be fully operational - so any delay is moot. Obviously tunnels are a problem as well, interfering with GPS signals. Regardless, I see neither of these as significant impediments.