View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

As stated earlier there have been past threads, where this was debated. One thing that stuck in my mind, is that if you pop a hose or blow a water pump seal, you either have it towed, or you make a mess of things pouring water into it to get it home. These cars get driven very little and I have never lost my coolant in the Cobra, but I have a few times in my daily drivers over the years.

In theory, the stuff is wonderful if you want to run a tad hotter or cannot ovoid running hotter. A lot of big block engines of all makes back in the 60's could barely keep from boiling over in stop and go traffic on a hot summer day. Full throttle for more than a short burst got them hot pretty fast. This stuff allows a higher temp without boiling, and the higher temp increases the delta temp between the air and radiator increasing the BTU exchange capability. An engine can run hotter, provided the oil doesn't get too thin. However the larger the heat range of the engine the more thermal expansion the engine goes through. When bolting aluminum and cast iron together, more temp range equals more dissimilar thermal expansion, to work on your gaskets. It's all theory and fun to argue, but the reality is, small changes are not likely to push you over the edge and cause a failure.

There's no doubt this stuff will work. In some ways, better, at the cost of some undesirable side affects under some circumstances that may never happen. Is it worth it? It is debatable, but to get hard numbers, it depends on luck mostly.