View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ428CJ View Post
You don't really have any other options do you unless you want to change the rear end gear ratio. Presumably you have 2.88 or maybe 3.07 gears. If you go with a Tremec 600 you might be able to get away with 3.07 gears but I think 3.31 or even 3.54 gears are much preferred.
Now that you mention rear end gear ratio, my Cobra has 3.50 gears in it already. While the combination of RG with 1:1 5th and 3.50 rear gears is not ideal for highway driving, it works great around town which is about 95% of what my Cobra gets used for these days. So replacing the RG with an OD trans makes even more sense to bring the highway RPMs down and resolve all the RG trans issues I have and surely will have with continued use.

All things being equal, buying a new OD trans (most likely a Tremec) and swapping out the RG makes the most sense. But I'm 95% done with a replica Ferrari 250 GTO that I intend to start using as my around town driver. So my incentive for big ticket upgrades on the Cobra is low. I guess having both these cars is a good problem to have but it's hard not wanting to have all my cars to be perfectly optimized and have no issues.

I sent you a PM with contact info since we live near one another. Would be great to meet another Cobra guy in the Tri Valley area.