View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
Great points guys. I don't know exactly what it is when the trans gets into this state. It happened to me again yesterday when I had the Cobra out for a drive around town. I happens for 2nd to 3rd shift only.

Here's what I do know. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd (issue happens when RPMs over 3,500 almost never below that), the shifter handle feels like it seizes up in mid-motion and won't let you select any gear but reverse which doesn't engage but gives a big grind noise. If I let the clutch out when trans is in this state, the rear tires squeal like they are locked up. I don't know if the drive train is really locked up or if the trans is really just still in 2nd gear. I have always kept the clutch depressed because I don't want to break something and the only fix I've found for the issue is to shift into reverse. The shift into reverse can only happen when the car is at a full stop. Once at a full stop and shifted into reverse, the trans is now cleared of the state and can be shifted normally into any other gear.

I guess the next time the issue happens, I can let the clutch out once the car slows down some and determine if in 2nd gear or not. If the trans is really in 2nd gear and shifter is not in 2nd gear position, that would tell me it's a really a shifter issue and not a trans issue. Oh well, doing more diagnosis gives me an excuse for more spirited driving! "Really officer, that wasn't an exhibition of speed, I was just trying to diagnose an issue with the transmission."
Maybe the brass synchro's are seizing up on the "cone" part of the gears, blocking the slider sleeve from fully engaging the selected gear. Maybe try a different lubricant ? Synthetic gear lube ?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."