Thread: Map-able ECU
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Olddog's points about reversion are (IMO) spot on again sandpit, but if you look at the Pro-M Youtube MAF videos you will notice that Pro-M actually built a reversion resistant MAF that specifically addresses the issues.

I have owned and currently own a Moates Quarterhorse and used it with a Ford EEC specifically built by Ford for the 03/04 Supercharged Cobra engines. It works, you need to license Binary Editor to program it and the Ford ECU. Even then there are hard limits that Ford coded into the ECU logic that require you to scale various items like your MAF curve, your injector flow rates, your engine size, your manifold volume etc.

The problem with the scaling approach is it distorts engine load (among other things), which is a primary parameter for fueling considerations, and impacts drivability as you approach the limits of the scaling exercise. Once again you are using an obsolete ECU, that Ford does not make any more and the associated components are becoming increasingly harder to find.

A modern ECU with modern sensors is a blessing from God. Even better is a modern day ECU that allows you to use any sensor by providing the ECU the calibration for the particular sensor and you are off to the races so to speak.

Normally you need to go to the high end of the aftermarket offerings with systems like Haltech and Motec that come at dear pricing points to get these kinds of capabilities. I believe BigStuff3 will also allow you to use different sensors and recalibrate for them. At the low end of the price scale there is simply nothing that compares to the Megasquirt MS3-Pro systems — the bang for the buck is nothing short of stunning.

If you really want to go the OEM ECU route I have a brand new Ford 03/04 Cobra ECU that you can use a Mach I strategy for and drive the 302 you are using. Along with the ECU I have a complete, brand new Mach I engine harness for the ECU, a Moates Quarterhorse and a current version of Binary Editor to program with. Literally everything you need, All brand new.

My stuff not withstanding, I still think you would be best off with either a Pro-M Universal system or the MS3-Pro Ultimate system. They are all new technology with fast ECU's and have no problem keeping up with today's performance engines. They use readily available sensors and are not faced with parts obsolescence issues that will force expensive remedies.

Like several of us have suggested earlier you are going to be in the tank for a couple grand no matter which path you pursue. If you make poor choices you'll get to make (and pay) for replacement pieces yet one more time.

If you are an Indiana Jones movie fan, think back to the Indiana Jones movie, The Last Crusade. Remember in the cave where the Knight's Templar, Guardian of The Grail, admonishes Indy as he is perusing the wide choice of grails before him, "Choose wisely! He (the dead Nazi on the floor) did not."

You are Indy and a number of us who have suggested and admonished you on this adventure you are about to begin, are the collective Kinght's Templar Guardian — and we are trying to help you ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.