View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
Joel how are you shifting when this happens? Are you just doing a normal shift at 4500. Or is some type of a speed shift? I just don't know why engine RPM has anything to do with it. When it happens to me I am shifting at 6500 and not lifting on the gas. I am only pushing the clutch far enough to disengage and as fast as possible.
It's just a normal shift from 2nd to 3rd. I let up on the gas and fully depress the clutch. The only thing different is the higher rpm.

I'm guessing the higher rpms make it so more pressure is needed to move the internal shift ring to disengage 2nd gear. My theory in this case is the internal shift ring doesn't make it all the way off 2nd gear before the Hurst shifter plunger is disengaged from the associated 1st/2nd shift plate. The shifter plunger has now engaged in the 3rd/4th shift plate but the RG internal cams/plungers are doing their job in preventing 2nd and 3rd gears to be engaged at same time.

I'm guessing at lower rpms and thus my theory is less pressure, the internal shift ring goes into neutral for that gear set with much less persuasion from the external shifter. Maybe it's poor tolerances in the Hurst shifter, could be some wear in addition to that, or maybe an adjustment issue. I'm hoping for the last of these possibilities but I've adjusted the shifter several times and it's always had this issue. I'm anxious to hear about if you can pinpoint the root cause in your case. Please keep me updated.