Thread: Map-able ECU
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

My Cobra has the early 90's Ford EEC IV EFI system with a Quarter Horse chip that was programmed via a dyno tune. While the engine runs great, gets decent fuel mileage, and I have no real complaints about the EFI setup, I do worry about the possibility that some part of the electronics has a failure and I won't be able to get replacement parts or find someone that can reprogram it.

I put the EFI/ECM system in the car when I built it in the mid-90s. It was all that was available at the time as an alternative to carburetors. The engine was running lean prior to the dyno tune so running a stock Ford tune wasn't OK. I was told the combination of Edelbrock intake, large valve heads, and long tube headers flowed much better than the stock parts thus leading to the lean condition.

So if I were you and deciding between modern, aftermarket EFI/ECM and an early generation Ford unit, I'd go with the current technology. It may seem to cost more but in the end, it will likely cost less and you'll have a better running, more dependable car for it. The technology has advanced very rapidly making the couple of decades old variety obsolete already.