View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Just to be sure, remove all four wires from the new switch and see if the red light is still on. Assuming it is, then take a look at your fuse box and see if, by any chance, there is some piece of crap of some sort over on the passenger side of the passenger side fuse block that is jumpering the second fuse to the third fuse. Assuming there's nothing, and your light is still on, put someone in the driver's seat with instructions to yell if the light flickers or goes out. Then, start wiggling wires gently. If that fails, you will have to trace the #3 fuse circuit to see where it is getting the hot feed when the ignition switch is disconnected.
Patrickt - I followed your advice first inspecting the fuse box and found no debris possibly causing a short at the fuse box. Nothing. I then removed the switch from the circuit removing all of the wires connected to the switch. The ignition warning light was OFF with all the wires removed from the switch. I then connected each wire to the switch one by one checking it each time. The light remained OFF. With all wires reconnected to the switch I reinstalled the switch back into the dash. Not convinced that the problem was solved, occasionally over the weekend I went out and checked that the light remained off. It was OFF until this morning when I rechecked and the ignition warning light was back ON. I did nothing to the car between the time it was OFF Saturday evening until I found it back ON Sunday morning. What gives??? Bizarre fuse #3 circuit behavior for sure!
I will do some more checking today and may have more to report this evening. Thanks for your suggestions, what would I do with out this website.
BD