View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdata View Post
I guess I'm all talk then... I've had big blocks and excessive 800 foot pounds of torque normally aspirated not like what you see here. I have had Buick v6 as well over 1400 horsepower will ever 1600 foot pounds of torque so please...
Yes in the 60's and 70's, I remember race teams getting 1000, 1500 hp out of 500 cid blown engines on gasoline and alcohol. Top fuel was maybe 2000-2500. Hot rodders were always able to make power, but the production cars.....

The 427 FE was rated at 425 hp when they ran them on a dyno with open headers, no air cleaner, and no belts. Today they are rated as installed.

The best 428 was 360 Hp I believe. The Boss 429 was a disappointing 375 hp. Oh but they were underrated. Many armchair experts claim they were really 500 Hp. OK let's just accept that.

Let's just go to the holly grail, the 427 cammer was 657 Hp 575 lb-ft of torque. It was never sold in a car. Period. It was an over the parts counter item. We are talking a production car that will out do it by a decent margin. I would suspect it is less weight than the FE, as well. Even thought the cammer was piggy, I may have to eat crow on that one if we counted induction, after cooler, etc.

If this doesn't convince you, nothing will.