View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     
Default Messed up push rod and rocker in my 460

Hi, Yesterday I went to set the lash on my 460 that I have in a Cobra. It is a mechanical solid roller setup and has all comp cam valve train parts. The rockers are blue Ford AVO 1.73.

I was checking the lash and I got to one of the exhaust valves and found just over 0.200. It was so loose the rocker was basically floppy. I was able to see the end of the push rod and under side of the rocker was totally hammer'd. I pulled the intaked figuring it was a problem lifter or maybe cam issue. I pulled the lifter out to get a good look and both the lifter and cam look great. I see no problems with either of them. Best I can tell the valve and springs are fine also. There doesn't seem to be any hang up. The rocker stud was seated all the way also.

I think I caught this early as metal flake/bits are at the top of the cylinder near the problem area but I have no idea what caused it!

The rods are one piece. I don't know if it was maybe faulty? Or possibly the steel cup that the rod sits in on the rockers went bad?

Here are some pics..... Thanks in advance!

Picture Album
https://imgur.com/a/M1fLUFu