Thread: Electric fans
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

My original electric puller fan, as supplied by ERA in 1992 is still going strong. So that is about 27 years. Also the thermostatic switch which is in the lower radiator hose is also original. It turns the fan on when the water is about 175 degrees F. There is an override switch on the dash to turn the puller fan on or off. My two pusher fans, also from the same time frame, but on a separate switch and relay are also original from the same date. There have been no problems with these three fans.

One thing to note, as the rated CFM of the fan goes up so will its corresponding amperage draw. So if you are ever going to replace a fan you could kind of over do it if you choose a much higher CFM replacement fan which could put a serious burden on your alternator and battery.

A solution to this perhaps would be a fan and thermo switch device which gradually speeds up the fan as the water temperature increases and likewise slows the fan down as the water cools. This would require some amount of
"smarts" in the fan circuit. Mitsubishi and others have this figured out in their mini-split air conditioning compressors. However I have yet to see this fan feature in an automotive application.

Last edited by 66AC; 07-08-2019 at 04:39 AM..