Thread: Black Wheels?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2095
Not Ranked     

I own ERA 2095 and since my car is white, I was looking for a little more contrast between my car's color and the FIA style wheels. I didn't want to buy a new set of wheels and tires so did a little investigating at an area C&C and found that a few guys had had excellent success with the rubberized coatings, some saying they had done their wheels over 2 years ago and had yet to do any touch-up. I liked the idea of being able to reverse to original if I ever wanted to, so gave it a try. $16 and an hour or two of labor and I had the exact look I was seeking. It has been several months now and they still look like the day I coated them, with 0 touch-up. I just take a little extra care when cleaning off the brake dust. The product I used was PLASTI DIP multi-purpose rubber coating gunmetal #0062. It is a perfect match for aged magnesium look. I used the "deck of cards" technique to mask, so didn't even have to break down the tires and rims. Just follow the directions on the spray can and apply the coats as they suggest. I haven't posted enough to be able to post pics but I am on the ERA Facebook page, or if you contact me I will be happy to e-mail you photos.
Tom