View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cooler and thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Mine is like that. I like the look of the cooler. But I certainly don't need one.

A thermostat will often not allow the oil to warm up properly. When closed, it allows about 10% of the oil to circulate through the cooler. As the oil warms up and the thermostat is open, it allows about 10% of the oil to bypass the cooler and go back to the engine. This allows all of the oil to warm up together. Otherwise, the thermostat would open and you'de get a big slug of cold oil into a hot engine. And that's a bad thing.

The down side of that is that if you're cruising down the highway on a cold morning, the oil will never warm up. That is also a bad thing.
I disagree,
I have a cooler and the canton thermostat, and the oil ALWAYS marches right up to 100 c and stays there unless I put the leather to it then it goes as high as maybe 105 or so...the rate at which it goes to 100 is pretty much independent of ambient temps...of course I’m in CA (not proud) so the block never gets very cold when cold...could be different in really cold climates I guess.
Cheers
Steve H
SPF 1764