View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Wink read my entire post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Well, not to be rude, but you're wrong.

Oil has an operating range. The upper range is pretty well known. The lower range is not well known. Some say it's as high as 200* or so. But 180* seems to be about the minimum.

Studies done in the arctic show that engines running less than 160* show accelerated cylinder wall wear.

Remember that street oil has two viscosity ranges, like 5W-40. When the oil is cold, the viscosity is low and the oil is "thin". Do you really want to be driving around with an oil that thin? Unless you're making a qualifying run, you do not.

Also, the additive packages are designed to operate at certain temperatures. If you're not in that range, the additives don't work like they're supposed to.

Some people think that if the oil temp is <212*, the water collected in the engine will not evaporate. Which is ridiculous. If that were true, your kitchen floor would never be dry. Just remember that the lower the temps are, the longer it takes for that to happen.
There is a part in my post that says builder recommendations not wrong so you can stop worrying