View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Neutral     

I put an 8.8 in my original style chassis from Roger Bollick. It needed a bit of modification to do the install but it fit in fine. I also used the 91 T-bird IRS uprights in the rear and that also needed a bit of modification but I was able to make it fit without too much messing around. Also had to design and build my own control arms to use the Tbird uprights and add new pick up points for the lower arms....

The 8.8 requires a different mount for the front pinion, depending on the year you use. I used a cast iron case, but the aluminum cased units from the year I used were the same for mounting purposes. I welded in a piece of 2 x 3 tubing between the frame tubes, which strengthened the chassis significantly. I had to be sure to weld it eccentric to the frame center so the pinion mounts would line up close to my required pinion angle. Then I cut a half round where the nose would project through. The rear of the differential also needed a modified mounting point, but it wasn't a big deal to fabricate a mount...

Anyway, if anyone is interested I could probably get some pictures. I have found the 8.8 to be plenty strong for my 525 hp 393 engine.

Bob