Old 07-19-2019, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdata View Post
I would think the short wheelbase doesn't help with the rapid weight transfer during braking. Softening the front wouldn't help?
That is true but then you hurt transitional response. It is a game of trade offs, we are changing springs in 25 pound increments now and have found that the car is close to ideal for its weight distribution. We have been changing spring rates for 5 years now and it seems we always end up with what tested well two years ago. The short wheel base and narrow track help because the car
is physically smaller than its competition but it also hurts because we overload the tires easily due to that rapid weight transfer. The 200 TW tires compound the problem because the car is light enough that we do not get as much mechanical grip from surface deformation of the tread rubber. Getting the right balance of grip and transitional response time is what we try for when setting up at an event. I am hoping all the data we take now will lead us to the right answers quickly. Steering input in degrees/sec vs yaw angle in degrees/sec should tell us if we are right or wrong once we have a data base of good setups to compare to. Right now we do know that if we are not over 1.35g in lateral grip we need to start working. We got over 1.45 on Kuhmo's and they were very fast but are illegal now. New Bridgestone's are about 1.37 if the car is right. I am hoping we will see the same type of relationships in other parameters.