View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

The 4.6 Ltr modular could make serious power normally aspirated, with the 4 valve heads. All that was needed was a good cam profile. The 5.4 (which is a very long stroke version of the 4.6), didn't seem to enjoy as much use as a performance engine. Ford did put it in a few cars and supercharged them, like the GT. It should be able to be used, as the heads do interchange with the 4.6, but the thing is just too huge to easily fit in anything.

The V10 is the 5.4 with two more cylinders. It is a truck engine and I didn't follow it much. No aluminum block versions that I am aware of. I suspect it received the 2 valve heads, as that would be a better head for low end torque. I doubt Ford made a 4 valve head for it. Possibly the 3 valve went on them. If there is a 3 valve head, you might have a shot at serious power. The 2 valve heads could make some power N/A if someone was willing to work at it. It would be much easier to go forced induction.

So if desired, serious power could be made with the V10. I still would have stayed with a SB Windsor. If I was going to work with stuffing an over-sized heavy engine in it, I would have gone to a 385 series (460 stroked to 532). The 385 will make more Hp/$ spent than just about anything else Ford ever made.

I do applaud those who do something different, rather than follow the crowd.