Thread: axle play
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Once again in a post this is being said by me, I am not a differential expert but little bit of play in the wheel movement is normal on the rear wheels when car is off the ground.

I have wondered this before years pre-Internet. Doing a quick Google search, this was found from an unknown source "Jan 31, 2016 - Due to the way the differential works, the drive wheels are able to turn ... brake (not park on the transmission) will lock the rear wheels. ... is because the movement of the spot on the gear has a little play from where it is locked."

On my BMW drive shaft motorcycle up on center stand, start it in neutral (the only way that you can), the back wheel will spin but can be stopped with your foot. Release your foot and it starts spinning again. Why is that? Never heard a good explanation and BMW motorcycle people know all. :-)

If there is not clanking, in and out play on the wheel, and the car drives fine- why worry about it. A little bit of play is normal in my opinion. As mentioned in quote above, if you apply the brake, there should not be any movement at all.

Keep on enjoying.