View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 11:23 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

I have just completed the most challenging process, a SPCNS without an MSO, and got my plates last week.

The process is not that painful if you do your homework, and have the correct answers for the DMV and BAR. The extra step that I had to do was the Brake And Light Inspection, but if it's not on your paperwork, you don't have to do it.

I am expanding a little on your steps. The stages can be different, depending on who you get, and that's why it's essential to know the correct steps.

1. Go to the Highway Patrol for an inspection

Produce the CHP form provided by the DMV, and the CHP will check serial numbers of engine and transmission. They are looking for stolen parts. If all is clear, they will attach a VIN plate (will ask you where), and recommend you stamp your VIN on your chassis.

2. Return to the DMV

At this stage, you can get your sequence number (produce your VIN paperwork). I went to the DMV twice, the first time I was asked to pay my taxes before I could get my sequence number. I was told that some law changed in 2016 that required taxes be paid before a sequence number is assigned. I questioned what I heard, so I went to another location and received my sequence number without paying a penny. When you hand in your VIN paperwork, the DMV attendant will find their manager and call Sacramento for a sequence number.

3. Then the paperwork gets kicked to Sacramento for a Sequence number.

Paperwork is not submitted until all steps are complete.

4. Schedule a smog referee appointment. I think this is a BAR appointment.

Yes, the BAR appointment.

This step is not a smog referee appointment, but when you get your SB100 (smog exemption), proving the car was constructed from a kit (engine + body on separate receipts) and was not initially sold complete by a licensed manufacturer or builder. All Cobra's, even Continuations have to go through the SB100 process to be registered in California. The SB100 process will state the car's smog exemption is based on the engine year or body style year. The referee will most likely pick the body style (1965). But remember, your car will still be XXXX SPCNS. Be careful what you say to the referee, and find someone who has your exact case so you can get the correct wording to answer questions correctly.

5. ( same trip as above, and takes around 40min) Once the referee is satisfied that you meet SB100 requirements (paperwork and sealed PCV system), he will call Sacramento (while you are still there), submit all your information and wait for confirmation. If Sacramento like what they see, you will get you SB100, and a sticker will be placed somewhere in your engine bay. This sticker will have your SPCNS year, engine year and size and state PCV system. The referee will also give you some paperwork stating that you met SB100 requirements.

6. Head back to the DMV, and submit all your paperwork (form the beginning), pay your taxes + registration, and your paperwork will is sent to Sacramento, and they will state that you will receive your title in 2 to 3 weeks. You will then collect your plates, and run away from the DMV office before they change their mind.

Additional notes;
If you trailer your car to the BAR, it is inspected on the trailer and does not have to be unloaded.

When you finally go back to the DMV, the car does not have to be present, because your CHP trip counts as VIN verification.

The DMV can also provide you up to two trip permits, that allow you to transport your car to the CHP and BAR. They actually gave me a few extra bases on the time I specified the build was taking.

Here is a good write up of the process, and the difference here is related to the Brake And Light inspection. I don't believe you need this, because your car was originally registered via an MSO, but others can chime in on this step.

https://bauerltd.com/the-magical-sb1...in-california/

Rowan Replicars 1965 Cobra Replica
352 4V, T5, Jaguar Posi rear end with 3.30 gears.
https://www.facebook.com/pormgb/