View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 0062
Not Ranked     
Default Help with Ford Performance Crate 427

So, through a nice twist of fate I'm getting a 427 crate engine: M-6007-Z2427FFT for my Superformance.

Before you all go off on how I should get an xxx engine built by XYZ, I'm getting this for free. Favor returned kind of thing.

With that in mind, I have decisions to make on preparation and parts selection to best match the car and my driving (semi-spirited street 99%) . The engine comes without intake, flywheel, clutch, carburetor, and ignition.

Its going into an early Superformance that currently has a 351W and Tremec 5 speed.

So my questions:

1. Pre-install prep - anything I should be checking or verifying or just flat out replacing? I know its new but I've been reading up on it...

2. Intake will most likely be a new Edelbrock Air Gap - not sure I'll see enough rpms on a regular enough basis for a Vic Jr. Current engine has the regular RPM intake which can be re-purposed just not sure what I would leave on the table for hp / torque.

3. Carburetor: Been in contact with John at AED regarding carb - he gave his recommendation for a 750cfm custom built Super Mod on top of the air gap. The carb currently on the car is a Holley 750DP. Does fine with the engine in there.

4. Flywheel. Ford recommends a neutral balanced unit. Steel or aluminum are my choices. What are your experience levels with either in a similar combination?

5. Clutch. Car currently has a Centerforce with low miles. Used clutch on a new engine is most likely a crapshoot. What would you bolt in there?

6.Ignition Current combo is the Superformance Durapsark. At the least would need to switch to a steel gear. At the worst I'm buying a complete MSD setup. Summit actually has a kit for a Factory five with this crate engine.

So there is my dilemma spelled out. Help me sort through the maze of decisions. For those that have this or a similar combo, what are your recommendations. What would you do differently - that hindsight thing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jeff