View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASKETBOY View Post
So, through a nice twist of fate I'm getting a 427 crate engine: M-6007-Z2427FFT for my Superformance.

Before you all go off on how I should get an xxx engine built by XYZ, I'm getting this for free. Favor returned kind of thing.

With that in mind, I have decisions to make on preparation and parts selection to best match the car and my driving (semi-spirited street 99%) . The engine comes without intake, flywheel, clutch, carburetor, and ignition.

Its going into an early Superformance that currently has a 351W and Tremec 5 speed.

So my questions:

1. Pre-install prep - anything I should be checking or verifying or just flat out replacing? I know its new but I've been reading up on it...

2. Intake will most likely be a new Edelbrock Air Gap - not sure I'll see enough rpms on a regular enough basis for a Vic Jr. Current engine has the regular RPM intake which can be re-purposed just not sure what I would leave on the table for hp / torque. Reuse what you have. if you are not gonna twist 6500 plus why give up driveability?

3. Carburetor: Been in contact with John at AED regarding carb - he gave his recommendation for a 750cfm custom built Super Mod on top of the air gap. The carb currently on the car is a Holley 750DP. Does fine with the engine in there. Way above my pay grade. For every carb there is one guy who swears by it and one who swears at it

4. Flywheel. Ford recommends a neutral balanced unit. Steel or aluminum are my choices. What are your experience levels with either in a similar combination? Steel is our choice for street. Aluminum is not as stoplight friendly

5. Clutch. Car currently has a Centerforce with low miles. Used clutch on a new engine is most likely a crapshoot. What would you bolt in there?
McLeod. Use them a lot, no issues and they work well above the rated HP ratings

6.Ignition Current combo is the Superformance Durapsark. At the least would need to switch to a steel gear. At the worst I'm buying a complete MSD setup. Summit actually has a kit for a Factory five with this crate engine. Either Crane or Pertronix. Forget you ever heard the name MSD

So there is my dilemma spelled out. Help me sort through the maze of decisions. For those that have this or a similar combo, what are your recommendations. What would you do differently - that hindsight thing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jeff
My answers highlighted. Take them or not.Your car, your decisions.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/