Thread: Lucas 104
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default Dash Mirror

Based on my single sample of one unrestored chassis COX6126 that I have pictures of the "No. 104" mirror stem was used at least once.

The "No. 104" stem was used in multiple mirror assemblies. There was a version of shorter height "No. 103" that was combined with a much smaller mirror glass than AC Cars used as far as I can tell.

The typical CSX2xxx chassis got fitted with some version of LucasŪ mirror assembly using a No. 104 stem. Mirrors were not typically installed for shipment to the U.S.A. so the shop doing final assembly had to install them. The mirror kits Lucas sold retail did not have attachment fasteners with them or at least none of the new old stock kits I have seen included fasteners. That probably explains why different trim screws and hex nuts were used among shops and over time.

Same chassis range, at least three designs of glass holder were used. The beyond early chassis the design of holder most used could have either of two finishes: plated or camera case wrinkle black paint.

Same chassis range, there were mirror glasses with different colors of back side finish. Lucas sold versions of assemblies with flat and curved glass. I personally have not seen a curved glass mirror in a substantially as built unrestored car.

Early street CSX31xx chassis continued with assemblies using the No. 104 stem, CSX3107 for example. At some point late in production the No. 104 stem was replaced with a different model with a goose neck type shape, CSX3346 for example. The typical glass holder was the most common version used in pictures I have was like most CSX2xxx chassis in black camera case wrinkle type paint.

Last edited by Dan Case; 08-03-2019 at 07:04 AM..