View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

Hi Tom:
Welcome to Club Cobra and your quest for an ERA. I have owned #375 since 1993 and they are fantastic and simple machines. Their support and manuals have proven extremely valuable over the years. Yes, there have been some changes to the ERA over the years as the product evolved. Luckily, Bob maintains the chronological order of these by versioning the Manuals via a Chassis number range.

Obviously, the lower the chassis number the older the ERA.

There are two major and two minor variants to the ERA. First would be the big block 427 chassis vs the small block 289 chassis. The big block has within it two major variants.... Under Car exhaust and no roll bar or hood scoop (essentially a roadster), vs the more racing oriented Semi Comp with the side pipe exhaust and the roll bar and hood scoop.

With the 289 you can go the FIA route with the roll bar and brace side exhaust and hood scoop or the roadster without those options. Or any variant you desire.

There are probably about 1000+ ERAs out on the road when you combine the two models. So there is somewhat large potential to find a nice existing ERA on the market. It can be somewhat helpful to find one in your own state so that title transfer and registration are easier.

I do not know what the lead time is on the current ERA production line however that is something that you need to find out directly from ERA.

So, as an owner of an "early" ERA I would tell you that I am very happy with the car and the company and their support. They throw a nice Xmas party too.

Good Luck with your search.