View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrumpley View Post
The ERA rear subframe assembly is a beautiful thing, but not an option for me since I will have undercar exhaust.
I stuck with the Jag rear end in large part for this reason - but after building my car, fabricating the mock up of the 2-1/2' tailpipes and taking them to an exhaust shop to fabricate - I'm not so sure. It's tight no matter which suspension - I run 255/60 tires in the rear for minimal clearance and have about 1/4" to the wheel house and about 3/8" to the tire. This is with a standard track suspension and 9-1/2 SC wheels. The extended track option and a set of 7" Sunbursts would give you a lot more room.

But the pipes can be run up pretty high in the wheel wells to get above the suspension. I could have run my up higher yet but I saw no reason to.

So, I've never fully comprehended Bob's hesitation about undercar tailpipes with the optional suspension - especially with ERA's available 2" tailpipes. It would be interesting to visit with some of the shop guys who actually assemble the car like Doug and see what their experience is.