View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default TKO Neutral Squeal

I recently put my TKO600 thru some paces as I drove the backroads of Colorado. Spent a fair amount of time in 3rd and 4th, but really not enough to overheat the transmission. Track days would be harder on it and didn't notice any issues then.

After driving about 50 miles going up and down in 3rd/4th, I started to notice a distinct squeal when the transmission went into neutral. Slight squeal as I passed neutral and very loud if I put it in neutral. Shifted fine and no noise while in gear. Later in the day, after a few miles in 5th, the squeal went away.

Clutch in, the squeal goes away. Clutch out and in neutral or shifting as you pass thru neutral is the only time you hear it.

Next day, a little heat into the tranny and the squeal is back. Same thing, no issues in gear, only squeal in neutral or as you passed thru neutral Seems to come and go.

I've googled the innerwebs and nothing to be found. I know what bad bearings sound like and I remember the good ole days when the Chevy synchronizers would act up. But nothing like this.

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Hate to tear it apart for an 'exploratory' unless I have an idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Paul