View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

On a recent outing, (Thanks again, Bob Cowan) we ran our cars to the top of Pikes Peak. Some carb'd, some factory ECU's and a couple aftermarket ECU's.

My system uses a Performance Electronics PE3-8400 ECU and incorporates both a MAP sensor and a separate barometer sensor. It was tuned for local altitudes (Saint Louis area, 500' ASL) (EightStack system on an FE)

We ran to the top, 14,115 ASL. The carb guys had issues. They made it but their engines were not happy. The other Factory ECU guys made it fine, but Ford has invested a lot of money into tuning and they benefited from it. My car ran to the top, stopped, started, cruised, pulled, etc without issue, performing as well at 14,000 ft as at 500'

The injection learning curve is kind of steep, but once you've learned and set the system properly, it really makes huge difference, compensating all the time for Air Density. Cold start, hot start, high altitude, doesn't matter, it just works.

Don't think you can just put an injection system on and it will run great from day one - it needs tuning, and with the infinite adjustment, it takes a fair amount of work. Most systems 'self learn', but that only covers the fuel tables, you still have to manually tweak cold start, hot start, acceleration and de-accel. But once you get it set, you'll be one happy camper.

Paul