View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
I do actually make a small yearly contribution to the site's .....what? running costs / maintenance?....but of course the site's store of information and the access to that information is available to absolutely anybody, whether a signed-in member or not. (When I say "available", that's not been an entirely accurate description of the state of the site for some time now).

So....I'm looking for suggestions here....is there anything that we as members of this forum can do to ensure that this facility and all of the information that it contains remains accessible?

If the moderator reads my rant and wants to throw me out for a time of 'reflection'....fine. Just fix the site please.
First, I'd suggest you stop contributing. Do you think it has gotten you anything? I considered it but decided to see what improvements if any would happen from those who did. Either (1) such contributions were of an amount that didn't help with capital and recurring expenses so all we get is status quo or (2) the money went somewhere else.

As far as improving it, the owners have spoken. By their lack of action they simply don't care.

I expect we'll try to sign on some day soon and find that the lease on the domain name has expired and the site disappears into the Internet Black Hole.

Make them an offer to buy it from them! I know of several other forums that this has happened. But honestly, it didn't work for them either. It's like chemotherapy with stage 4 cancer - you might live a little longer before the inevitable happens, but inevitably, inevitably happens. None ever came close to recouping their costs, some shut down and others continue because the owner absorbs the costs.

Properly monetizing the site with ads can help. Not the kind of ads you see here but the random Amazon and other ads that actually generate a revenue stream when clicked on.

Also, it was mentioned here that the owner of this site has several other sites, and they do not suffer from neglect. That alone ought to tell you something.

Just who IS the owner? I mean the one who writes the checks. There are several that seem to claim such status, but there is a difference between a moderator and an owner. Feel free to correct me but I'll assert that the current state of things speaks for itself.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-13-2019 at 06:05 PM..