View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinyelm View Post
Just got my car together, and installed the engine with a "standard" Wix oil filter already on it.

I didn't notice until after the engine was in that there is only 1/2" clearance between the end of the filter case and the chassis.

I doubt I will be even able to remove the filter when the time comes, much less get a new one on there.

Obviously, I can Sawzall the end off the present one and remove it in two (very messy) pieces, but is there a shorter filter that will work w/ the engine with the proper relief valve or anti-flow-back valve as the OEM filter possibly has?

I was planning to install an oil cooler via an adapter under the filter, but cannot imagine even w/ a shorter filter there would be room.

Is everyone running a remote oil filter, or just a shorter one?

Thanks,
Bob
I recommend the Ford Performance Parts Oil Filter Adapter (M-6880-A50), but if you don't want to go that route (or in the interim) you can always run a shorter filter. I put together this chart ( showing the different Wix filters that have the same thread, anti-drainback valve, and bypass valve pressure. Diameters are essentially identical, but length varies from standard 51515 length of 5.2" down to 3.8". Burst pressures vary from standard 290 PSI, but most of the shorter filters have higher burst pressure ratings ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing ) I've never burst a filter, but I know some have).

If you have 1/2" clearance, you may be able to go to the next longest filter (Wix 51068) - it's 4.3" long, so that gives you another 0.8" of clearance for a total of 1.3". That s/b enough to install and remove it without cutting.

More oil filter data can be found at http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php