View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     
Default TPS for Quick Fuel Carburator?

I have a 482 side oiler with a Quick Fuel HR-780-VS. The engine was built by Brent Lykins and runs very well. Starts easily, lumpy idle, and pulls like a freight train. It is 100% street driven.

Brent installed an MSD Pro Billet distributor (8594). He instructed me to set the all in timing at 34°, which I did. It is all in at about 3000 rpm.

When I bought my MSD box prior to completing the car, Tom Kirkham and Lippy both posted threads about their successful experience with the programmable 6530 unit, so that is what I got. Up until now I have not used the programmable feature of the 6530, but would like to do so.

I hooked up a vacuum gauge and put it in the cockpit so I could see what the manifold vacuum was at various times. The manifold vacuum on my engine is about 6 in Hg at idle. Vacuum goes up to about 18 in Hg at the peak at a little over 2000 rpm (cruise), then starts falling off as I give it more pedal.

This type vacuum curve, as I understand it, does not lend itself well to using a MAP sensor to gauge engine load for the 6530. I decided at that point to look at using a throttle position sensor (TPS) instead, as Tom Kirkham did.

Holley sells a TPS for electric choke carburators, but a call to them revealed it will not fit on my QFT carb. They suggested a universal TPS made by B&M Racing (part number 120002). The instructions with this B&M unit are hideous, and the only review I found was on Summit and rated it as poor.

Innovate makes a TPS for carbs but it will not work with an electric choke. Another one I found was the AccuLink TPS kit, but I'm not sure it can be mounted on my carburator.

Does anyone know of an appropriate TPS? Or is there any other way to get engine load information to the MSD 6530?

Thanks in advance for any help.