View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical glass View Post
HI everyone, I have a Richmond Gear (Doug Nash) transmission in my ERA #56&. My shifter is terrible extremely sloppy. I'm not sure what's in there right now because I have to wait to get it on a lift. My question is How difficult is it to change out the shifter and what is the part number of a replacement Hurst? The shifter is original from when the car was built.
Thanks....
i have the same transmission and recently swapped out the Hurst shifter for the Long (both came with the car). The Long is VERY sloppy in the 3-4 gate. I'm told this may be due to weak centering springs, but I haven't yet chased Long for replacement springs. I believe you can pull that portion of the mechanism out to fix it without pulling the whole shifter assembly.

BTW, I didn't find swapping the shifters that difficult, but there are spots that are pretty tight in there for turning wrenches. The toughest part was probably dealing with those d**n spring clips. Also a challenge was inserting and removing the pin for adjusting the shift rods. I ended up using a bolt that was just perfect in length - long enough to hold the shift arms in place but short enough to be able to removed after everything was bolted down.

The box my Hurst shifter came in is labelled "Doug Nash 5-Speed Shifter", and it's shifter #407-0015. I assume you can still find it somewhere, though it may not be easy to find.

BTW, the reason I swapped out the Hurst is that it doesn't have reverse lockout, unlike the Long shifter.