View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz, 350 'Vette & Muncie, & Jag rear
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
You can't put it on TDC and then point the rotor at #1 plug wire. It will be too retarded. Crank a hand-full of advance in it and I bet it will start.

The way I time a brand new engine is this way (adjusted for being a Chevy):

Pull the driver's side valve cover off. Roll the engine over by hand and watch the rocker arms on #1. Roll the engine over until you see the exhaust valve on #1 open then close. At this time the intake valve should be opening as well. Keep rolling the engine over until the intake valve opens, then starts to close. At this time, keep rolling the engine over and be watching the timing pointer and the balancer. When you get to 30° BTDC, stop there and point the rotor at the #1 plug wire on the distributor cap.

I guarantee you that if the engine has spark and fire, then it will start very quickly. Once it starts, set your timing with a timing light.

OK, after taking the carb apart and cleaning it finally got it to squirt fuel,
then the connector on the coil on top of the distributor was loose, and I couldn't get it to fire. FINALLY got everything together, and started the process you gave me. My timing indicator only shows a max OF 16 BTDC,
so I guestimated where 30 would be.

Bottom line, it won't start - is backfiring thru the exhaust and now also back firing thru the carb.

Next I'm going to check the valves and see if they're correctly set.

Thanks,

Jim