Old 10-29-2019, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
DO NOT HAVE SURGERY!

Go see your family doctor and get a referral to a physical therapist. Trust me!
This might be incorrect advice. Disc bulging does not mean you need surgery. In fact, 50% of people with bulging discs do not have back pain.

However, sometimes surgery and sharp objects are the correct answer. And there are more surgical options than discectomy and fusion.

A visit with PT is always a good idea. I'm surprised you have not done that yet. People who do PT prior to surgery have a better outcome.

An EMG might be a good idea. Depending on symptoms and what the MRI shows.

I think a consult with a neurosurgeon is also a good idea. Not to get surgery, but to talk about surgery. What are your options? What are the potential benefits? What are the potential risks? Once you are well informed, then you can make an intelligent decision.

You should also consider a consult with pain management. You want a procedurist, and not a pill pusher. They have some excellent tools that might be helpful for you.

Keep in mind that we cannot eliminate or cure chronic low back pain. We don't know how. Our goal becomes control, and function despite pain. A lot of people don't like it or believe it when I say that.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto