View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
"Easier" is a variable factor based on what you are familiar with.

As for computers and expensive sensors, any professional today is tuning a carb or efi on a chassis dyno using a wide band O2 sensor. Leaded fuel and reading spark plugs are long gone.

Factory EFI systems can be used to very high Hp levels.

A new car with a Carb has not been sold since, what, mid 1980's. Well over 30 years. Most certified master mechanics today have little experience with a carb. Some have never seen a carb on a car, short of going to an antique car show. I think you meant you personally know lots of people who can tune a carb, but few who know what an EFI system is.

Bottom line: if you use all modern expensive computers and sensors on a chassis dyno and tune your carb as close as you can get it, which close is the best you can do, it is only good for that day, assuming the weather does not change. The more the weather changes and time moves on the further from close that reliable old carb will be. Drive up a mountain and all bets are off. EFI will be much closer to spot on at all of these conditions. This is fact.

However a carb typically fails much more slowly and rarely in a catastrophic engine stops kind of way. Not sure if they allow EFI on single engine air craft, but likely not. I think they may still be running points in a distributor, but I have no idea what they really do.
well said