View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKW353 View Post
I have started to do some tinker and have removed my dash to run the wiring harness. When you have done yours, what did you fasten the harness to after connecting the wires up?
I found some strips of 1" wide double sided Velcro that wraps back and fastens on itself to secure the wiring in bundles or strap it to anything I could find behind the dash. It works well since unlike plastic wire ties it's easy to remove if needed or to make adjustments later. I ran the wiring so that the main bundles for the instrument and switch wiring fell in the gutter of the lower dash panel brace - didn't really find a need to doing a lot of strapping of the harness as ERA custom fabricates it to fit the car and not a lot of excess wire length to deal with.

It's worth spending a couple of hours to sit down with the harness and the electrical manual section that shows the circuit locations in all the major plug ends and make sure the wires (going by color coding) have all been terminated in the plug ends in the correct place. These are the big plugs where the harness comes through the firewall from the engine bay. These are hand assembled harnesses so it's not unusual that a wire accidently gets inserted in the wrong plug socket location. Or you might find a wire terminal that isn't locked securely in the plug and backs out when the plug ends are mated up. I had two wires reversed in mine that I found after getting the car started and having to trace wiring harnesses and plug terminations in the assembled car is not a lot of fun.