View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Gary's absolutely right. With today's gasoline and, I'm guessing your carb might be tilted a bit as well, you can no longer rely on the fuel level at the bottom of the sight hole method for setting floats (which you could on a nice Galaxie with Sunoco 260 in the tank). What I do is set it to the bottom of the holes, run the car until it's hot, pull the air cleaner and watch the boosters drip. Light up a Lucky Strike while one of your kids/grandkids films you with his phone. Once the car cools down, drop the floats slightly and repeat. Keep doing that until you no longer have booster drip from shi**y gas percolation. That's the best way to set your floats. For the air bleeds, blast a good carb cleaner though all eight bleeds, then set your compressor down to about 40psi and blast some air down through them. Then repeat. Your carb is now 75% dialed in. Setting the idle mixture screws just right (mine are set at 1 and 3/20ths turns out from lightly seated) is your next step. Then set your primary throttle plate so there's just a little bit of the transfer slot below the plate (you do not need to pull the carb off to do this, you can see this by looking down the top of the carb). Then get your idle RPMs just right by adjusting the secondary. You're now better dialed in than 98% of the carbs out there.

EDIT -- Don't light up a smoke while you're checking out the gas percolation cloud.

Last edited by patrickt; 12-09-2019 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Added the cautionary note on smoking....