View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Ten years ago I built my ERA from an unpainted, unbonded semi-roller (had them provide the rear Jag suspension). I sourced my own engine from Keith Craft and transmission from a friend; the wheels from Vintage; did all my own bonding, body prep and painting (as in I sprayed it); and did my own assembly. I skipped a number of popular options (leather and six-pin hubs) but building a street roadster did have some additional cost for necessary modifications to conform a basically SC kit to that. I went with a stroked FE but built it for 480 HP and not 600 HP. I probably ended up a bit over $50k at least - maybe closer to $60K than I would like to know. I make a habit of no longer adding up receipts. It took me a couple of years after a 9-mo wait on it to arrive. If ERA had done all of this assembly (bonding, painting, wheels/tires, assembly) I suspect it would have been at least another $25K over that - possibly more.