View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 10:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

My first Cobra had a 302 with 2 3/4" I.D. mufflers, 24" long with the louver turned backward so they would not scoop the air into the fiberglass packing. They were not mufflers as installed. More like straight pipes.
Very loud.

I left a friend house one evening and when I got onto the main hiway I walked it through three gears before easing off. When I got home he called me and said "Man, you sounded great on the hiway." I asked how far his house was from the hiway, he replied "one and a half miles." I asked how did you hear me that far with trees and houses between us. He told me he waited in the driveway because he knew I would get on it when I hit the main road.
My pipes were loud.
And then there is a story about a cop who heard me in 1st gear from three blocks away. I've got pictures.
And there was a time at the London Cobra show when they were dyno'ing my car and we shut down the tent activities for several minutes.
Oh, the time at London on Main st when they were dyno-ing my car, well you get the idea. It was very loud!

Later I bought a pair of the Classic pipes, four inches longer with 3" inside and turned the louvers so they would scoop the air as designed. They had a good rumble but at 60 - 70 mph we could carry on a conversation.