Thread: Heat Under Hood
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 01:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
I'm about to buy a car that has ceramic coated headers, but I do not think the side pipers are coated, just polished stainless. Would it help reduce heat coming into the cabin to coat the pipes or make no difference? And I assume it makes no difference in how bad the burn on her calf will be when she gets out without stepping over them, right?
Coating the side pipes will not change the heat coming in to the cabin -- especially if you're moving. Stainless pipes will burn your leg worse than coated pipes will, but coated pipes will still give you a bad burn if you don't yank your leg off them quickly. I keep a 2' x 2' piece of welding blanket behind my seat and drape it over the pipes before my passenger gets out. See this thread: Rick Lake - Thanks for this Tip! I haven't burned my leg in the last ten years, but I have on occasion touched my leg to the pipes -- but I'm at a point now where I can yank it off fast enough that the burn is pretty much the equivalent of a sun burn now.