View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
It’s a fallacy to say that one replica looks closer to an original than another, at least in the case of ERA vs. Kit “X”. As stated earlier in this thread, ERA’s body was taken directly from Peter Portante’s original car. Kind of hard to say it’s not “accurate”, or is “less accurate”, than another manufacturer’s kit.

It comes down to personal preference of one shape vs. another. To my eye ERA’s body has always looked the best, and I started ogling Cobra kits back when the choices were basically between Butler, Contemporary, and ERA. Hell, I’ve seen ERAs parked next to original cars and preferred the ERA. Again, that’s simply down to my personal preference.

Not to muddy things further here, but weren’t the bodies for either the KMP or the CSX cars taken from the “original” (i.e., Tom D’Antonio) Hi-Tech cars? Which, themselves, were taken from (I seem to recall) two different CSX cars? If so, then whichever of those came from the Hi-Tech cars were, themselves, a second-generation body.
Kirkham and current CSX cars have no relationship with the original Hi Tech. Hi Techs 427 body was molded off CSX3190. Ive seen the plug used to make subsequent molds. I don't remember what car(s) Kirkham and therefore Shelby, used but I seem to remember it was a couple different ones that were scanned, not molded.

Larry