View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

It’s not that hard to keep it looking good. Really isn’t. I drive mine quite a bit and still spend no more time cleaning it and polishing than I would a painted car. Nothing wrong with paint either but the whole “nightmare to keep it looking good” thing is not really accurate. I know from experience.

It is possible to screw up the finish, requiring quite a bit of work to get it back to where it should be. But I think most people know better than to do that.

It’s also sort of a pain to get a new Kirkam painted. Doing it right requires painting it before putting in the transmission and engine and interior components. That means you either have to buy a roller, do the painting yourself, and then finish the car.... or, get David to do all of that. David does not paint cars, so he would have to send it out to get that done, locally. If you are like me and wanted to buy a completed car with engine and transmission installed, the painting process is difficult.

To each his own, and there is nothing wrong with a painted car. But it’s really not that hard to keep a polished or brushed car looking good, even if driven a lot.