Old 03-19-2020, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM-0785 View Post
Mike I,

The mounting/shimming seemed likely a contributor if not main contributor even if other issues like typical screw length cracks are involved. Mike shared with me that his windshield, as originally mounted was like 3/4" off center.

He'd worked toward remedying that by moving the passenger windshield frame down leg to the other side of it's under dash mount with a shim. It still seems likely that is a contributing cause. Perhaps the frame bent with prior off center mounting due to bolt torque down. The entire frame itself seemed a bit torqued to me, possibly also contributed by the extend/nature of the lean back (possibly somewhat inconsistent per side as well).

Would you or Tom W. have photos of your underdash windshield frame mountings for reference. Also, do you know if the shim thickness and location(s) are typical of your arrangements, or commonly varied significantly as needed within the same model/era as Mike's EM?

Thanks, Brent
Sounds very plausible Brent, that certainly would cause the glass to crack. I don't have any photos handy. Difficult spot to work in, let alone photograph, but I'll give it a try later today on my car.